Osteoarthritis is caused due to degeneration and eventually loss of the cartilage of joints. Cartilage is a tissue that covers the inside of the joints and acts as a cushion between the two bones ends forming a joint. When the cartilage starts undergoing degeneration, the bone becomes inflamed as its protective covering is lost. This causes pain during weight bearing activities such as standing, walking, etc.
it is frequently seen in persons above the age of 55 years though it can also occur earlier than this. Before the age of 45 years, it is more common in males. Genetic predisposition also is one common cause for osteoarthritis. it usually affects the weight bearing joints such as the knees and hips; it can also affect other joints such as those of the hands, feet and the spine.
When the osteoarthritis is due to ageing process it is known as primary osteoarthritis; when there are other conditions in the background that have triggered this disorder, it is known as Secondary osteoarthritis. Secondary osteoarthritis can be caused by any of the following:
- Joint surgery
- Congenital anomalies of the joint
- Hormonal disorders (especially Growth hormone disorders)
The common symptoms of Osteoarthritis:
- Pain and stiffness of the affected joint
- Swelling and warmth of the joint
- Creaking of the joint
- Pain is usually worse after repetitive use of the joint
- Stiffness is usually worse after a long period of inactivity
- Pain may occur at rest too (in severe cases)
- Limited mobility of joints
- Inability to squat
- Bony enlargement of small joints of fingers (called Heberden’s nodules)
Spine osteoarthritis can cause
- Neck pain and stiffness
- Tingling numbness of extremities
Homeopathic treatment for Osteoarthritis
Since it is a degenerative disease, pathological changes in the joint are almost irreversible. Homeopathic medicine can alleviate the pain significantly but cannot revert the pathology.. Most cases respond well as far as the long-term pain relief is concerned. Early joint deformities can be well managed. Prevention of joint deformities further can be well achieved by Homeopathic Treatment.